Monday, July 27, 2009

Project Day 15 - Building Foundation Walls

This morning I was up and twiddling around getting ready to do a few "light" chores. We had decided not to drive out to the build site today because Dave's foot has been attacked by the ugly gout monster. I spent most of Saturday morning shopping for the anti-gout remedies: black cherry pills, black cherry fruit, blueberries, and black cherry concentrate drink. Saturday afternoon and Sunday I was able to practice up on my nursing and waitress skills.

Sunday, Dave was able to hobble to the living room recliner as a change of pace from lounging on the bed. But, he was still in a lot of pain. So, he felt one more day of staying off of his foot would be a good thing.

However, at 7:50 AM this morning, Brad called and wanted to see if we could drive out to discuss the lay of the land with all the RV parking concerns.

Dave said he was well enough, so we quickly donned our clothes and raced out to the car (one of us hobbled out to the car). Naturally, I was devastated because driving to the building site this morning would mean that my housework would have to be put on hold! (If you believe I was devastated, I've got some swamp land I'd like to sell to you.)

During the drive, Brad called to inform me that the electric meter had NOT been installed on the pole. I guess the statement "We'll have it installed no later that Friday" was a figment of Hart EMC's imagination. Today our CSR (customer service rep) at Hart EMC was due back from vacation. I hoped that when I called her I would get this non-installation cleared up today. However, one more stall. It seems that all the service guys were on one job--bringing up an electric sub-station. So much for my piddlin' needs. But, I was "promised" it would be installed tomorrow: transformer, wiring, meter, and street light.

We arrived at the build site at 9:30 A.M. and lo and behold, we have another "official" confirmation that we are underway with building the new house. We have an impressive, self-contained "Comfort Station."



As Dave and I walked to the top of the driveway to see the progress, we were blown away. These guys set to work like a colony of ants. Each knows their task. Yet, there was little communicating. Each guy was intent on completing his own task with skill and efficiency.

I would turn to have a brief conversation and when I turned back, a wall existed where none had been a few minutes ago.

Overview of Jobsite 9:30 AM (Right Front Corner of Garage Foundation Wall in Foreground)



The next series of pictures shows their progress when we arrived as compared to when we left, only 2 hours later.

Kitchen Side of House

9:30 AM



11:30 AM



Bedroom Side of the House in the Background

9:30 AM



11:30 AM (Bedroom Side of House in Background, Kitchen Side of House in Foreground)



Note the entry door on the far wall in the above picture. This doorway is for the crawl space--well, it looks more like a "walk-in" space to me!

Cement Mixing Area and Some of the Workcrew



Supervisors Brad and Dave!



We left shortly after 11:30 AM and headed back home. We stopped to have a bite to eat about halfway home. I have to say that when we arrived home, I was terribly disappointed that elves had not come in and completed my light housekeeping. Alas, some things you just have to do yourself.

We are going back in the morning sit at the Observation Station as some backfilling will be done to the garage, back patio, and front walkway.

Brad is making sure that the walkway from the front door around to the top of the driveway, and continuing on around to the door of the RV will be nearly flat. His attention to detail should reduce the number of times we "kiss the pavement" trying to put one foot in front of the other. Three cheers for Brad trying to keep ye ol' folks upright!

The schedule for this week has been slightly revised. The framing materials will be delivered on Wednesday, and framing will commence on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment