Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Project Day 72 - Finishing Touches to Cabinets

It has been raining and raining and raining here in the Atlanta area. I'm sure you have heard the news about the flash flooding in and around the area. We hoped that we would be able to park at the top of the RV driveway area so that we would not slip 'n slide in our sneakers while trying to enter the house. We made it.

However, when DJ arrived with his smaller trailer, he couldn't back it up the slippery slope. I felt sorry for him and David, his new worker, as they had to haul their equipment and cabinets by hand up the driveway.



Brad was already there when we arrived. He was doing yard clean-up duty as well as cleaning up a bit inside the house.

All three set to work to get the remaining cabinet work finished. They removed the cabinet that was next to the bar "L" so that they could cut back the 2x4.




Brad was on bar-cutting duty.



David was on crown molding duty.



David and DJ installed the missing cabinet. Notice the cabinet behind David and to the right of the sink. Also, the trim that hides the light above the sink is installed.



Yesterday, I had a brilliant thought! In the cabinet that would be installed above the dishwasher (and which DJ was still building), I plan to store items that I don't use often, such as cookie sheets and platters (hence avoiding putting dishes away while the dishwasher door is open). So, I asked Brad to check with DJ to see if he could put a vertical separation in that cabinet instead of horizontal shelves. DJ said he could do that for me. After the cabinet was installed, I opened it to see that DJ had gone the extra mile and created slats in which I could install vertical separations. I was so jazzed. Just perfect! And while I was admiring his handiwork, he...



...brings in and installs the vertical slats. Now I'm REALLY jazzed. They will be great.



However, I realized too late that my "brilliant" idea was only half-brilliant. The cabinet is only 11-in. deep inside and most cookie sheets and platters are wider than the cabinet is deep. Nevertheless, I do have plenty of items that will fit there. I can't wait to try it out! Thanks, DJ, for the special attention to detail and giving me what I asked for--even if I was half-baked!

DJ installed the front panel on the spa tub.



Dave sat on the porch watching all the activity.



And, me, I was shooting pictures, as usual--and putting in my 2 cents where I'm sure it was not needed! But, Dave says, "That's my job!"

No comments:

Post a Comment