Monday, August 17, 2009

Project Day 36 - Installing Plumbing Rough-In

Last Friday we did not go to the building site as Robbie and crew were just going to be there a short time to finish up a few details on the framing. Therefore, Dave and I (tasked with purchasing the spa tub and delivering it to the jobs site on Monday morning) headed for Home Depot. As retired folks, shopping on the weekends when the stores are crowded with work-a-bees, is not an option. So, Friday was it. We found the tub and with the salesman helping Dave, they loaded the tub onto our utility trailer. The tub is more awkward than heavy. We also purchased an overflow kit, recommended for this tub. However, we are not sure we'll need it because we are not sure what the plumber has already purchased for installing this tub. If we don't need it, we can take it back and save ourselves $70.

As you can see, we made it home with the spa tub in tow and then Dave covered it for the duration of the weekend. Rain expected. We didn't go out during the weekend, as the tarp was not cinched for traveling.





Up and at 'em early today to deliver our spa tub to the plumber. We were off and running at 8:15 AM. Yes, I know, that's almost before the sun peeks over the trees. We arrived at the site at 9 AM as we were told by Brad (construction superintendent) that the plumber was not an early riser and would arrive between 9 AM and 9:30 AM. We didn't want to hold up the process, so we chose to arrive at the earlier hour.

We were first on the scene and noticed, but noticed that the showers had been delivered this morning.



Dave's Shower in the Garage (I promised Dave that this was not his shower's permanent location!)



The "driveway" was quite muddy due to the heavy amount of rain that had fallen over night. I opted to sit in the car while Dave tip-toed up to the slippery slope.

Dave walked around in the house for a while and then came back to inform me that the showers had chunks of fiberglass chipped out and that some of those damaged areas had created cracks along the front fascia. Naturally, this meant I had to navigate the slippery slope for myself to give the situation "my" once-over!

The following pictures were taken with my cell phone as I thought I might be need to send them to Brad.

Top Left Corner of Dave's Shower (my hand included for size relevance)



Bottom Left Corner of Dave's Shower



Top Left Corner of Pam's Shower



I called Brad to inform him of the damage. He called Stacy, the plumber. Stacy already knew about the damage and said he had already contacted their repair guy to fix the damage later in the building process. I have experienced how nice these fiberglass units can be repaired. When we were building our current home, the workmen damaged the edge of our spa tub. After it was repaired, it looked better than new.

While in the house, I took the opportunity to walk through and snap a few current-status pictures. As you can see, all the doors and windows are installed, all the house wrap is done, the spa tub frame is complete, and the porch framing is finished.

From Living Room Looking Toward Porch



Porch with Kickplate Sheathing Installed



Front Door



Spa Tub Frame



Doggie Door from Dining Area onto Porch



About 10 AM, two men from the plumbing company arrived and began to unload the PVC pipe for their impending tasks. Stacy had to go shopping for a two-handled plumbing fixture for the spa tub. I guess they are rare these days, so he had to go to a couple of big-box stores.

About 11 AM, the men who work for Stacy came to retrieve the spa tub from our utility trailer and carry it to the house.

Dave Preparing the Tub for Delivery



I gave Stacy's crew the box containing the overflow drain and explained that I wasn't sure they would really need it and not to open it unless it was something that Stacy needed for the installation, because if it was not needed, I wanted to return it.

After the spa tub was "delivered" to the house, Dave set up our Observation Station. Dave waited to set up the station until now because he wasn't sure if he would need to back the trailer up the driveway to unload the tub.

I decided to take a walk down to the bottom of the hill to take a photo of the crawl-space door. Dave sat in awe as I took this short but steep walk, knowing that I'd have to trudge back up the hill. To Dave's (and my) amazement, I made it back up the hill without calling a rescue squad!

Crawl-Space Door



Dave and I settled in to wait for EMC Security to arrive. We had set up an appointment with them to get an estimate to install a security system in the house. A really nice man, Cory, arrived to check out our requirements. After touring the house, he joined us at the Observation Station for a chat about more details. We should have our estimate tomorrow afternoon.

During our conversation with Cory, LD and his friend Will arrived for a chat. Stacy arrived shortly thereafter with his shopping purchases in hand. We introduced ourselves and Stacy set off to work. When Cory left, I headed up the hill to talk with Stacy about the plumbing project in general and talk with him about the spa tub overflow drain. But, Stacy had already installed the overflow drain from the package we had purchased. As I could see by now, it was actually connected to the same place that the tub's main drain is attached. So, I reminded him that we ordered a trip-lever for the drain system, rather than the drain system where you have to pop-up a plug in the bottom of the tub.

Stacy told me that the trip-lever drain system would replace the drain system he has now already installed from the box we supplied. He stated that he thought I had changed my mind and bought this new one instead. I told him that I told his men not to open the box unless it was something we really needed. Stacy said, "No problem, it will come out as easy as it went in." However, now the drain system I will need to return is covered with plumber's putty and the plastic bags that had contained parts have been ripped open.

I notified Brad of the situation, as I truly felt that Stacy should have contacted Brad before deciding to deviate from his work orders that required the trip-lever drain. Brad agreed that Stacy should have checked with him.

Dave will try to get the putty cleaned out and see if the contents can look like they have never been used. But, I have my doubts. This was an expensive assumption for Stacy to make.

Dave and I sat and observed for about another hour, then when we lost our shade. We decided there was not much to watch and it would be quite some time yet before Stacy and his crew would be done for the day. It was now a little after 3 PM.

Stacy had left again to go shopping, we think. Before he left, he unloaded the PVC pipe for his crew to use while he was gone. Here's our final view as we pulled out and headed home for the day.



Tomorrow's events include finishing the rough-in plumbing and roofing the house. Brad had stated that we might miss the roofing activity altogether as these guys were really fast and could have the house roofed in 2 hours, before we even arrived. Dave and I decided that we would skip going to the house tomorrow. The 1.5 hour round-trip drive gets expensive, and from the Observation Station, we can't see much activity inside the house. We'll go out on Wednesday to check out the rough-in plumbing progress, see our new roof, and observe the HVAC installation. So, until I finish entering Wednesday's events into the blog, we'll say adios and hasta lavista.

No comments:

Post a Comment